The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for a Multimedia Storyteller to join our Communications team. The Communications Associate will work with the Communications Director to help develop strategic and coordinated communications plans to amplify the legislative, legal and community advocacy work of the ACLU, and to attract, engage and mobilize members, donors, supporters, volunteers, and the public.
You are a creative self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with the ability to easily balance multiple projects coming at you while meeting tight deadlines and staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are professional at all times with strong oral and written communication skills. You believe in the power of storytelling to engage people and motivate them to take action, whether that’s becoming a member, protesting, donating or calling a lawmaker. You know how to find, research and tell compelling stories with words, video, photographs or sound, and have the technical skills to make those stories shine. You approach the people and communities whose stories you help amplify with respect, sensitivity and inclusivity. You’re thrilled with the idea of engaging and growing diverse audiences to mobilize to protect and expand civil liberties. You are committed to racial and social justice and treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect, while actively working to foster an equitable, collaborative, and inclusive experience for staff, other partners in our work and the larger community.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The ACLU of Minnesota is an affiliate of the national ACLU. Founded in 1952, the ACLU-MN works to protect and promote the civil liberties and civil rights of all Minnesotans through litigation, lobbying, and community engagement. The ACLU of Minnesota is nonprofit and non-partisan, defending the civil liberties of everyone, regardless of their politics.
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to identify, develop and execute strong, well-designed, well-defined strategic communications plans, programs and campaigns that advance the goals and objectives of the ACLU-MN and its advocacy, legal, and legislative teams; and empower and mobilize members, donors, volunteers, supporters and the public.
- Assist in defining appropriate audiences, messaging, and communications delivery mechanisms to support ACLU-MN goals.
- Work with the Communications Director to maintain and execute the ACLU’s brand identity and consistency of messaging across all forms of organizational communications.
- Provide strategic thinking, analysis and storytelling to illustrate and promote the daily work of the ACLU of Minnesota.
- Assist Communications Director in developing messaging frameworks and talking points.
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to develop, research, report, write, edit and produce communications materials for publications and digital use including the newsletter, annual report, major reports, FAQs, Know Your Rights materials, fact sheets, monthly board updates and blogs.
- Write clear, compelling, sharable, and creative HTML emails that inspire people to take action both on and offline; and produce associated forms, email testing and reporting.
- Write compelling action alerts that inspire people to call lawmakers, sign petitions and take other actions; and produce associated forms.
- Help develop and maintain consistent talking points, tone, and narrative for the organization’s issue priorities.
- Cover ACLU-MN events, legislative testimony, court hearings and other events as needed.
- Ghostwrite and/or edit Op-Eds, letters-to-the editor and speeches as needed.
- Lead with authenticity and be guided by a strong sense of curiosity for all communities and individuals.
- Be passionate about telling stories and working to bring relevant experiences to light, especially of underrepresented and disenfranchised communities served by the ACLU-MN.
- Report, research and produce compelling multimedia content in support of strategic communications priorities.
- Conduct interviews on video and/or audio.
- Develop, shoot, edit and produce short-form and long-form digital video and/or audio stories that educate, motivate and influence target audiences on all platforms.
- Shoot and edit photographs for all ACLU-MN platforms.
- Contribute to the ACLU-MN’s online blog.
- Collect and maintain photo and video release forms.
Communications Department Support
- Oversee affiliate communications in Communication Director’s absence.
- Help train communications volunteers and interns.
- Serve as backup as needed on: Media outreach including answering queries and writing press releases; editing; social media posting; and website maintenance.
- Help to ensure quality of public-facing content by reviewing and editing social media posts, emails, press releases and other materials as needed to ensure content is free of errors, compliant with ACLU tone and messaging, accurate, and readable.
- Assist with outreach opportunities and events, including helping coordinate logistics and provide technical support as needed.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least three years of relevant communications experience, preferably with an advocacy-oriented nonprofit.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to plan.
- Flexibility to juggle multiple projects and to push everything aside when big breaking news occurs such as court rulings.
- Ability to translate complex ideas into understandable and engaging messages.
- Working knowledge of Drupal or similar CMS and experience with email marketing programs.
- The ability to be resilient – understanding that working towards systemic change is a marathon and not a sprint, and that it often involves working with difficult subject matter
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including racial justice and civil rights.
- Willingness and availability to work occasional evenings, weekends, and/or over 40 hours per week as necessary.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experience in the non-profit sector
- Ability to record and edit video
- Ability to record and edit sound
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, Hmong or other language spoken by a language minority in Minnesota.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $48,000 - $58,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance a 401(k) plan with employer contribution and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V., three professional writing samples of no more than 10 pages and a portfolio PDF or portfolio link showing several examples of photographic, video and/or audio work. Social media handles are welcome. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted until filled. If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)