The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for an Executive Assistant to the Executive Director/Board Liaison to join our team! This position will be a dynamic professional who is looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven and vibrant organization that makes profound differences in the lives of individuals. Our mission is timely, our staff is committed to protecting civil liberties, and we are poised to succeed, with a growing community of more than 30,000 donors and members.
At the ACLU of Minnesota, we take pride in our reputation of nearly 70 years of fighting the hard fight for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied. And now—as we navigate the current threats to our civil liberties —is the ideal time to join us!
We are currently looking for an Executive Assistant to provide comprehensive support to our Executive Director and to act as a Board Liaison. This dynamic position requires the ability to anticipate needs, think critically, and offer solutions with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The ideal person for the job will be a proactive problem solver with exceptional communication skills and meticulous attention to detail. We will rely on this role to be flexible and have foresight and strategy while maintaining the smooth operations of our systems.
This person will be a highly visible strategic partner with the Executive Director, as well as with the Senior Leadership team. They will want to understand how the Executive Director thinks, strategically understand the prioritization of key partners, and what’s necessary to be in front of the Executive Director to support the organization’s objectives. In this position, they also serve as a liaison to both the ACLU Union and Foundation board of directors organizing and coordinating board related activities. Ultimately, the successful person in this position will be tech-savvy and excellent at funneling, filtering, and facilitating tasks and partnerships.
This role is critical to the success of our organization and will have a wide range of responsibilities, proactively solve problems, have a can-do attitude, and thrive in fast-paced environments.
We seek an indispensable partner to the Executive Director, the Senior Leadership team and the organization.
The Executive Assistant/Board Liaison will be for example:
- Someone who has led projects, special initiatives, or communications for an executive office.
- Someone who has worked closely with a wide variety of key figures within an organization.
- Someone who can oscillate between the balcony and on the ground seamlessly.
- A dashboard, spreadsheet-minded individual.
- A pragmatic, action-oriented leader.
- Someone proactive and fast-paced.
- Passionate about researching, learning, and exploring all the possibilities.
- Someone who has an interest in a host of nonprofit business functions: technology, human capital, finance, and compliance.
- A creative problem solver.
As the Executive Assistant/Board Liaison, you will perform the following functions for example:
- Manage the ED’s workflow, including the triage and prioritization of requests related to meeting requests, external board commitments, and requests of the ED.
- Operate at a tactical, strategic, and operational level, handling the oversight of special projects at times in coordination with other senior leaders.
- Provide logistical support for internal and external organizational events involving the ED.
- Build and maintain internal systems and processes to ensure the efficiency of the ED’s Office.
- Serve as a thought partner to the ED, challenging ideas and offering a different perspective.
- Promote team integration as well as cross-functional communication and collaboration.
Senior Management Liaison
- Participate as an adjunct member of the Leadership Team, proactively follow up with ED’s direct reports on key tasks as not to lose sight of objectives.
- Build and run cadence for leadership meetings, all staff meetings, and logistical leadership of offsite meetings.
Board Support & Liaison
- Serve as the administrative liaison, including logistics and presentation development, to the Board of Directors.
- In partnership with the ED, manage Board relations, Board communications, and development of Board and Executive Committee meeting agendas, engagement, and strategy.
- Provide support to the Board and Committees of the Board, including scheduling, preparing meeting materials, and documentation.
- Organize and maintain the Board of Directors' historical records and files.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- 4 plus years of experience working with senior level executives.
- A proven track record of success in an administrative or project management role, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Technologically savvy, including Microsoft Office 365, Teams and Zoom.
- Superior research, analytical, planning, and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and possesses a high degree of attention to detail.
- High degree of professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion in dealing with diverse groups of people, including Board members, senior leaders, staff, community leaders, donors, and partners.
- Bias for action and track record of strong follow-through on projects.
- Ability to manage up and across the organization.
Finally, Executive Assistant/Board Liaison will bring a commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU of Minnesota, along with a personal dedication to a professional team that will bring us into our next 70 years as Minnesota’s guardian of liberty.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $53,000 - $70,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer contribution; and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office, providing access to the best that the Twin Cities area offers. The ACLU of Minnesota currently employs a hybrid work environment with some level of remote work acceptable. This is also a bargaining unit position within the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
- Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V. and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. References will not be contacted until you are considered a finalist for one of our positions.
- We at the ACLU Minnesota are committed to helping our team members do their best work. Our promise is to champion diversity, build an inclusive and belonging culture and do our part to create a more equitable world. Please submit a short · written statement that explains how you can contribute to making our promise a consistent reality.
- Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity!
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted only until (30 days from posting). If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is no