Communications & Digital Media Internship
Location: St. Paul Office
We are looking for individuals interested in the role of communications and digital media in nonprofits and advocacy. The ACLU of Minnesota works across issue areas to protect and advance civil liberties for all Minnesotans. The Communications and Digital Media Intern’s primary responsibility is to support the Communications Department's work, which is quite varied. Our Communications interns work to support the print, digital, and social media projects of the organization. Interns will work both behind-the-scenes and in the community to support our communications and advocacy work. Internships last between 3-6 months.
Regular duties include (but are not limited to):
- Draft, edit, and proofread communications materials, as needed.
- Provide research support and data analysis for reports, stories, and action alerts.
- Support social media efforts and monitor statewide media outlets for coverage of civil liberty issue areas.
- Update and maintain the ACLU-MN website, in particular the legislative and legal cases.
- Write and create content for our digital media—including website, social media platforms, and e-mails.
- Create images, infographics, and other graphics to share on social media platforms.
- Represent the ACLU-MN at events and public education projects, assisting the Communications Department with coverage during events.
- Track, analyze, and report on social media metrics.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of internal newsletters and print communications (including handouts, Know Your Rights information, and other publications).
- Other duties, as needed, including administrative work, organizing and distributing materials, database management, and general organizational support.
Additional responsibilities vary depending on the time of year the intern is employed. Interns may be asked to work on special projects such as researching and creating a presentation on civil liberties issue or helping with our "We the People" story collection and archiving initiative.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a variety of tasks, with a focus on administrative support, editing, online research, and data entry
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Initiative to work independently on assigned projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Office Suite, and other media software
- Able to work for 10-15+ hours a week during normal business hours
- Summer Internship: June to August. Deadline to apply:
- Fall Internship: September to December. Deadline to apply:
- Winter Internship: January to March. Deadline to apply:
- Spring Internship: April to June. Deadline to apply:
NOTE: Specific start and end dates are flexible.
Email a resume and cover letter to Lynette Kalsnes at email@example.com.
Please include the subject line “Communications Internship Application”, and indicate which internship (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring) you are applying for. A final applicant will be selected within four weeks of the application deadline.