We are looking for individuals interested in an internship opportunity in our Legal Department.
For 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and expand the civil rights and constitutional liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. As the ACLU’s Minnesota affiliate (ACLU-MN), our work as a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with more than 40,000 supporters includes protecting and advancing the civil rights and civil liberties of all Minnesotans, including women, people of color, indigenous people, people with disabilities, and those that identify as LGBTQ, through litigation, legislation, and community engagement. As a legal intern, you will work closely with our legal team in strategic advocacy, using our resources to seek equal rights for every Minnesotan inside and outside the courtroom.
Interns will gain experience by:
- Doing legal and non-legal research, analysis, and writing
- Evaluating and investigating requests for legal assistance
- Processing (draft, submit, and track) data requests
- Assisting with preparing for meetings, articles, and presentations
- Performing other advocacy and litigation-related tasks
This internship is a good fit for someone who:
- Has completed the second or at least first year of law school
- Possesses excellent legal and non-legal communications (written and oral) skills
- Is passionate about social justice issues and/or committed to protecting and advancing civil rights
- Is eager and able to work with diverse populations
- Displays a high degree of professionalism and emotional intelligence
- Has excellent organizational, problem-solving, and information-gathering skills; and some computer, technology, and social media skills
- Is able to be in our office 8-12 hours per week for spring and fall internships and 20-25 hours per week for summer internships. Hours are flexible within normal business hours.
Please Note: In accordance with ACLU-MN's Covid Policy, ACLU-MN requires all persons working in person to provide a valid Covid Vaccination Card to retain on record.
ACLU-MN internships can be performed both remotely or in-person, according to the discretion of the supervising staff.
Please attach a cover letter, current resume, and writing sample to your submission.
To sign-up to volunteer, become a member, donate, or follow us on social media, please visit our website aclu-mn.org.