At this unprecedented moment in our history, the ground can feel like it’s shifting nearly every minute. Our nation is facing a serious public health crisis, and it’s important that we do what we can to take care of ourselves and each other.
The need to safeguard the civil liberties of all Minnesotans becomes even more crucial in times like this. We must protect public health, and we must protect everyone’s rights. These are not contradictory ideas – they are necessarily intertwined in our free society. The heart of supporting civil liberties is believing in equality, equity and rights for all.
To meet these goals, the ACLU of Minnesota is taking a number of actions:
- We have made the difficult decision to postpone the Liberty Awards event, originally scheduled for April 23 at the Town & Country Club. The new date is Wednesday, June 3, 2020, at the same time and location. Tickets are on sale at https://www.aclu-mn.org/en/liberty-awards-2020.
- Our staff is now working remotely via email, text and phone calls. We are temporarily switching from in-person meetings to Zoom. We are working harder than ever to protect and safeguard everyone’s rights, especially those of the most vulnerable.
- We are monitoring the government’s response to make sure it’s no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary. We want to ensure that any government measure is grounded in science and public health, not politics or xenophobia. We will amplify public health guidelines for a fair and effective response to the outbreak.
- Our lawsuits are still active – this past Monday we were in court arguing on behalf of our client Myriam Parada, who was wrongfully jailed by local police and held for ICE.
- Our lobbying team will continue to monitor any developments at the Legislature.
- Our organizers are continuing to build relationships and brainstorming ways to stay connected with our communities. Watch for upcoming opportunities to join us.
- We are finding ways people can volunteer remotely now – and in person later. Sign up at https://www.aclu-mn.org/en/about/volunteer-aclu-mn.
We are grateful to you for your continued support, and we need it now more than ever. If you would like to donate, please visit our website: https://www.aclu-mn.org/en/donate.
Please visit www.aclu-mn.org for updates on the Liberty Awards event and on all the work we continue to do. This is your ACLU. We’ve been around for 100 years, and we will continue to be here for you now and into the future.